Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Oh, What a Traitor I Am

There is no sport I love more than football. There is no sport I love as much as football. I think if I were to rank the spectator sports, it would be football, baseball a distant second, basketball in third, hockey in fourth.

You'll notice that nowhere in that list was NASCAR. I have only watched a NASCAR race from start to finish once. Sure, I listen when they get mentioned on SportsCenter, but otherwise, I just don't care. It is in that environment that I now reveal that I'm getting on a plane Friday morning for a flight to Atlanta, and I'll be attending the two races this weekend at Talladega Superspeedway. I'm expanding my horizons.

But back to the important sport. The Cardinals travel to St. Louis to face the Rams on Sunday. You know, this is the third year that Kurt Warner has been with the team, and the Cards have been making this trip even longer, but never have I seen so much activity on the Rams bulletin boards suggesting that Arizona might actually be able to count the date as a home game. The city seems to love Warner, and amazingly, there still seem to be some Cardinals fans nearly 20 years after they last played there. Couple that with a Rams team that is beat up (I'm attributing the Frerotte start to Bulger's injury, and there's the missing Jackson), not stopping anyone, and no longer selling out their stadium.

I'm nervous, though, about Vegas finally jumping on the bandwagon. Arizona is a 3.5 point favorite on the road. I'm not saying I won't bet on them, but it was so fun when the team flew under the radar. There are still plenty of people who think beating Pittsburgh was a fluke and that the two quarterback system is a joke (I'm looking at you, Deion), but this is a team that's finally winning when they should. The only hurdle to overcome is overwhelming an opponent.

Here's hoping for an overwhelming win.

By the way, if you're a NASCAR fan, look for the huge person wearing the Boldin jersey in Alabama.

Go Cards! Oh, and go Diamondbacks!

No comments: